Ads

Monday, July 07, 2008

Be practicable

You have read a lot of articles about “How to Start a Startup” or where to find an idea for startup. The main idea of most of them - to find something, that missing or can help you in your daily work (or pleasure) needs. In short – “Find pain you can reduce”…

So, here is my story. In year 2000 I have work in some outsourcing IT Company. I have work at home, company office and two customer’s offices, - totally on four computers while working week simultaneously. I had no laptop, in addition both clients term was using only they office computers.

The real pain for me was to update (send via PC to PC via e-mail) my set of thematic bookmarks stored in browsers I have used (MS IE and Netscape) and updated daily. The problem was very clear and painful, because once you forget to send updated bookmarks file to another computer, you have to synchronize two or more files. One time it is OK, second time it makes angry, and after all you have a several not synchronized bookmarks files.

I did research on Internet for some tool, which may help to store bookmarks on some global storage account and/or to allow synchronization with any computer, but without success.

How many people like me had similar problem in far 2000 …? I guess a lot … So, I came to conclusion that it may be very good idea for some startup or at least some project/tool.

I have discussed this idea with several colleagues … Some of them say “Hi, good idea! Go ahead …” But most of them says that it is very trivial problem/idea for startup…

I agree that discussion with opponents help to sharp (or to kill) an idea, but most important that entrepreneur must have a strong core to defense his baby.

Looks like my core in year 2000 was not so strong … Big mistake of entrepreneurs in far 2000 was about mission of startups and problem they have to solve. Only world-wide technologies, that can upside down the planet was fits to startups …

Time over… Old concept of startups was collapsed in 2000-2001… Today’s situation is different:
  • Be creative
  • Be small and dynamic
  • Solve trivial problems for lot of peoples
  • Make your product simple and usable
  • Respect your customers/users
  • Give some free products/services
  • Be popular
All of this are components of quickest way to success…

But let’s back to my idea… After few years I have found that Google has implemented bookmarks functionality in they “Google Toolbar”.


I do not know, did they catch some startup or same idea was cooked in they kitchen. One thing is absolutely clear to me now, to make good and usable tools/services you do not have to be big like Gooooooooogle … You have to be practicable.

Tip of the day
When you're right, no one remembers. When you're wrong, no one forgets.
(Got from Rene, colleague of mine)



No comments: